Wednesday, April 27, 2016

TEACH: classroom crime scene

My fourth grade class has been struggling with writing this year.  I knew I wanted to do something that would interest them.  I found some ideas on Pinterest and sort of pieced the ideas together to come up with an activity that would work.  I saw the "classroom crime scene," but it didn't have any directions, so I came up with my own.  I set up this "crime scene" in our classroom.
 


I scattered some of the books from the shelves, left the lid off of the candy jar along with some candy wrappersI also borrowed her scissors, sticky notes, and paper clips all to tie the crime back to her.  
 
I created my own scenario so that I knew how to set the scene to stage the crime:  The science teacher across the hall was in search of a missing science textbook.  Because I'd already left for the day, the lights were off, and she accidentally knocked some of the books of the shelf.  She also got hungry and ate some candy from the candy jar (That's where I went wrong - my students saw candy and automatically thought it was me! Ha!)  She also left some evidence behind tying her to the scene of the crime.

The kids absolutely loved this activity!  Because they are fourth graders, some of them knew it was staged.  Others really thought someone vandalized our classroomEither way - they all really got into it.  Several of the students accused me. Others accused the librarian, the janitor, other students, etc.  They came up with some creative scenarios.

First, I passed out a "notebook" for students to use when observing the crime scene.  Then, I called the students to come a few at a time to observe the crime scene.  They were to find 4 pieces of evidence to list as clues.  Once they returned to their seats, they had to write why the piece of evidence contributed to the crime scene.  What did it tell them? What did it make them think?   At the end, the students had to come to a conclusion based on the evidence, basically who committed the crime and why?  The students used their notebooks as a graphic organizer to help them write their crime reports. 

To tie the lesson together, I explained to the students that they should being doing this every time they are "investiagting" a story.  They need to find text "evidence" or supporting details to help them with their writing.  Overall, I was really impressed!  The students really seemed to enjoy the activity and did a great job.













No comments:

Post a Comment