Sunday, May 15, 2016

DIY: watermelon rug

I don't know what it is, but I have developed an obsession with all things watermelon this season.  I found a tutorial on Pinterest for the cutest outdoor watermelon rug and knew I wanted it for my porch for the summer.  I found 2 plain coir rugs at target for $10/each (I have 2 front doors).  This tutorial called for a sponge to make the watermelons, but I didn't have one on-hand, so I just free-handed it.  I used the Apple Barrel acrylic paint from Wal-mart and an old paint brush.  
First, I painted the rounded triangle spaced far enough apart so that I would have room to paint the bottom.  
Then, I let it dry for a little while before I went back and painted the bottoms of the watermelons just below the pink.  
Finally, I went back a put a random amount of seeds on each of them with black paint. 


I love the way it turned out!  I also made a matching rug to go with it for my other door that says, "SUP".  I saw a printed one similar to this online, but I am entirely too cheap to buy it, so I decided to make my own.  You would have to know my husband to understand how appropriate it is.  Our rugs really brought our porch to life, in addition to my DIY lawn chairs. Check back for a follow-up post on how I made my DIY moss monogram!

No comments:

Post a Comment